Original text or pictures from anotherdayyay.blogspot.com
may not be used without permission.

Friday, January 13, 2012

No One Needs to Know

Are you the type of person that seeks recognition? When you do something nice for someone, do you tell others about it? When you go above and beyond the call of duty, do you want someone to acknowledge you?

After a conversation I had with a friend today, I was left feeling a bit frustrated. She and I were discussing how others in our profession are perceived. Some in a positive light, others not. Some warranted, some not. In my mind, I started to tally the list of things I do that I never get any credit for; the things that go unnoticed...unrecognized. In fact, as I started writing this post, I considered listing all of these things and then complaining about how under-appreciated I am.

But why?

Matthew 6 says,
"When you pray, don't be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I assure you, that is all the reward they will ever get. But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father secretly. Then your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you."

I think it's only human nature to want others to know what good things you're doing. It's a means of validation. Maybe deep down, you don't want others to think someone else is doing a better job.

Why beat around the bush? It's pride.

But just as Matthew warns against praying in public where everyone can see you, I think God feels the same way about the ways in which we're glorifying Him in our every day lives. We use our talents, our time, and our energy to glorify God, not to gain recognition for ourselves. No one needs to know...

except Him.

And that should always be enough.

So, the next time I give...

the next time I care...

the next time I do something to make a difference in someone's life...

the next time I go out of my way to help...

I'm not going to get upset because no one noticed.


I hope this weekend finds you using your talents and resources to glorify God in so many ways and telling absolutely no one about it!

After all, no one needs to know. Except Him...

Love,
Mary



1 comment: