Original text or pictures from anotherdayyay.blogspot.com
may not be used without permission.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Strength

Sometimes, it's a moment, it's a second, it's a look, it's a feeling...
If you let yourself get lost in it, everything else is put into perspective.

Last night, I had that moment...

Rewind to earlier in the day. Awful. Swollen feet. Swollen legs. Excruciating back pain. If you've never had twins, it's hard to explain the extent of the discomfort, so I won't even try. Just believe me when I say my day was hard. That way I won't have to waste anymore of your time boring you with my tales of woe.

More importantly, though, it was Rick's birthday. I had left all of his birthday party planning until the last minute because over the weekend I hadn't been feeling well. So, there it was, end of my work day and I called Rick in tears. I didn't even think I could walk around the grocery because my cankles felt like they were going to explode. Rick said to come home to a back rub and foot spa and he would go pick up something for his birthday dinner. I actually considered it. We hung up the phone and I headed home relieved that he wouldn't be upset for a spoiled birthday.

But then I thought of something...

As Rick's Granny was so courageously battling lung cancer, she attended one of my baby showers for Gabriella. I remember it so vividly because she had just gone to a chemo treatment several days before. And there she was, finding the energy and the love to come and celebrate my and Rick's 1st child. She never complained. She was there with a joyful heart and I could tell it took everything she had to be there. If Granny, facing the most difficult challenge of her life, could do something for me, then surely, under my circumstances that pale in comparison, I could suck it up and give my husband the birthday dinner he deserved.
What an example of strength Granny was.

So, I made dinner. And a cake.

And I filmed our little family as we sang Happy Birthday.

I might add that I thought I was having contractions as we sang! Ha! I'm so appreciative that God gave Granny the strength to endure so many things. Seeing the way she used God is an example for me.

When you look at the strength of the amazing people around you and see how they're using God, it helps you figure out how to use Him in your own life.

I see God in the strength He gives to those who ask for it...
and the example they set for others.

Love,

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment