Original text or pictures from anotherdayyay.blogspot.com
may not be used without permission.

Monday, July 18, 2011

French Fries and a Coke





As long as I can remember, I have always loved french fries. I mean LOVE! Everyone who really knows me, knows this. It's a love affair of the silliest kind! hehe And what could go with a large order of hot, salty fries better than a refreshing coke?! It's one dynamic duo! Unconsciously, I have passed on my love for french fries and coke to GG. She is now developing her own little love affair with Mommy's favorite combination. What can I say?


Like mother, like daughter!


As we were sharing McDonald's the other day, it occurred to me that for a very long time, GG will be looking to Rick and me as an example of what to do. In us, she sees how to act and respond, how to treat others, what to say, how to live her life. Even, what to eat!


Wow.


That's a pretty hefty load to bear; shaping GG's life and her personality in a way that we feel is right.


My mom used to tell me that when she was growing up, my grandfather would say, "Don't do as I do. Do as I say do."


I want GG to do as I do. I want to be an example for her.


Compassion, respect, loyalty, empathy, sincerity...


These aren't traits that happen by chance. They happen because they are taught and learned. They happen because somewhere along the line, an example was shown. I can think of no greater challenge than to try and embody the type of person I want my child to be. It will make me a better person, that's for sure. Of course, I'm human and have too many of my own faults to be a perfect example. However, can you think of a better reason to try?


I can't.


So, I hope that when GG grows up and she prays,


and loves


and laughs


and dances


and stays strong


and encourages


and appreciates


it's because she saw her mother and father do the same.


I hope.


Looks like I've got a lot of work to do,


Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment