Original text or pictures from anotherdayyay.blogspot.com
may not be used without permission.

Friday, July 22, 2011

The Need for Touch

It is a fact. Humans need the affection, love, and touch of another in order to survive. It is one of our most basic needs. Recently, I ran across an interesting study that exemplifies this idea.


In the 13th century, Frederick II conducted an experiment on 50 babies. He wanted to see what language a child would speak if he never heard a word from his caregiver. The caregivers were forbidden to have any interaction (other than feeding and bathing) with the child. No talking, rocking, petting, playing, singing, etc. The children were given their very basic needs except for affection, touch, and love. The experiment ended in a devastating tragedy; all 50 infants died. Love and affection are so necessary for life that without them, the results are fatal.


This study reminded me of a stranger Rick and I encountered right before I had Gabriella. We were in the elevator, I was having contractions, and it didn't take a rocket scientist to know where we were headed and why! The sweet lady that shared the elevator ride with us had some important advice for Rick. She told him as soon as Gabriella was born, he should take off his shirt and hold her against his chest, skin to skin. Of course, Rick thought it might look a little funny to the nurses or various medical peeps running in and out of the room, but he did it any way. I can honestly say it was one of the highlights of Gabriella's entry into this world. The mother and child bond is an unbreakable bond of phenomenal strength, but I'd say Gabriella's bond with her Daddy is as strong as her bond with me. I credit that to the need for touch that she had...the need that Rick, in those first moments, was able to satisfy.
So, maybe I kiss GG a little too often, maybe I hug her a little too much, hold her hand a little too long, but it's because I know that within each of us is a need, better, a longing, for contact.

The need for touch...
The need for love...


The picture I chose, was from Gabriella's first day at home! I see God in the exchange of love between the tips of my two favorite noses touching.

Think I'll go give GG a big 'ol kiss,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment