Original text or pictures from anotherdayyay.blogspot.com
may not be used without permission.

Monday, July 11, 2011

7 Down, Forever To Go...



















Rick and I just returned from Charleston! The occasion: our 7 year wedding anniversary. Technically, our anniversary is the 16th, but we celebrated a little early.



For this trip, we decided to leave Gabriella With Granny Di and Papa Ramon. While it was one of the hardest things I've ever done (being away from GG for that long) it was necessary. Here's why.


I believe that in order for a family to have a strong foundation, Mommy and Daddy must have a strong marriage. That relationship is first and foremost. Rick and I are the core of our little family. In order for things to work with our family as a whole, things must work with us first.



I see my marriage to Rick like a big Oak tree. In the early years of our marriage, prior to GG, we were planting our roots; gaining the nourishment and strength we would need to hold up our future branches. This is why we waited several years to have Gabriella. For us, it was the right decision to use those years to strengthen our marriage, to get our roots further in the ground, if you will. But, if you've ever seen a big tree, a really, really big tree, you know its trunk is humongous and its roots run so deep, and are planted so firm in the ground that nothing can budge it. Those strong roots, to me, represent the couple that's been married 50, 60, 75 years. Their life together has seen rain, sleet, hail, snow, sunshine, and rainbows...




and the roots are still planted in the ground




tree upright and thriving

stronger than ever.


I want my and Rick's tree to still be standing tall and strong in 50 years. I want our family to have a strong foundation that is centered on God and is, at its very core, a picture of our love for each other. I want our family to be a reflection of the roots Rick and I are taking care to nourish and strengthen. So, I'd like to share a few moments from our trip in which I could feel our roots growing stronger and deeper ...



When I grabbed Rick by the hand and dragged him out into an ocean that was only lit by a half moon, we couldn't see a thing as we kicked and splashed and laughed



When Rick made me try fried gator and I had to (very politely) spit it out in my napkin (sorry, but it was gross!)



When we arrived at an abandoned beach right after sunrise to sip mimosas and write in the sand



When Rick took my hand and twirled me around to a man playing a xylophone on the side of the road



When not one of us reached to turn on the radio for the entire 8 hour drive because we were too interested in what the other had to say



When I wrote in the sand with my tanned and polished big toe...



"Happy 7 year anniversary! 7 down...forever to go."



I feel God in his presence in my marriage and I am truly thankful.



Thank you for reading,


Mary




P.S. I had to add the last shot because I think my hubby looks like he's turning around in the middle of a modeling shoot! hahhaa He's gonna kill me when he reads this!


No comments:

Post a Comment