Original text or pictures from anotherdayyay.blogspot.com
may not be used without permission.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

They're Watching

As Rick was reading his new astronomy book today, he caught my attention and whispered for me to look at Gabriella.  There she was, in the exact same pose as her father.  
Leg crossed at the knee.  
Book at an upright position.  
Thoroughly engaged.  
Just like her Daddy.
 Through the course of a day, I am constantly noticing GG and how she mimics everything we do.  And I mean everything!  Lately, she's been getting my twins nursing pillow and trying to nurse Tinker Bell.  That's something I need to get a picture of and post!  It is absolutely hilarious!  
The point is: Everything we do is fair game for repeating.

Therefore, it's important that what we do is worth repeating.  Children don't just end up being kind, polite, loving, passionate, honest, or any of the other things we hope by chance.

Gabriella, Marielle, and Genevieve will be looking to Rick and me for an example of what to do, what not to do, and how to do it.  When I think about the adults I want my children to be, I have to look at myself first.  
I can't expect the girls to be patient if I am quick to anger.
I can't expect the girls to be loving and affectionate if I don't shower them with hugs and kisses.
I can't expect the girls to be compassionate if I don't show them that I care about others.
Each thing I want to see in them, I have to see in myself.
And I don't.
 That's a pretty hefty responsibility...embodying all of the characteristics you want to see in your children.

I think it's probably impossible, but I know there's no harm in trying.

In fact, I'll probably fall short most of the time, but if serving as an example to them is always in the back of my mind, I can't help but end up a better person.

For now, I'll just continue trying to be an example for my girls because I know they're watching.

Today, I saw God in a little girl who so desperately wants to be just like her Daddy!

Love,
Mary





No comments:

Post a Comment