Original text or pictures from anotherdayyay.blogspot.com
may not be used without permission.

Monday, December 24, 2012

Little Drummer Boy

We walked into a packed mass tonight.  Thinking we were early as we arrived 10 minutes prior to the start, we were greeted with packed pews and parishioners lining the sides of the church.  Walking in circles, we finally settled on an unoccupied spot against the wall...right in the front of the church.  With no place to sit, I knew it was going to be an interesting Christmas Eve service.

Gabriella isn't unruly.  She isn't rude.  What she is, is 3.  What she is, is a people person.  What she is, is a dancer and as each Christmas hymn was sung before and during the mass, Gabriella would go to the spot between the front pew and sanctuary and dance.  My first instinct was to make her stop.  I didn't want her to be a distraction, better I didn't want the glaring looks of parents making me feel bad to continue.

But, then I thought of the Little Drummer Boy.  The boy who didn't think he had anything to offer Jesus.  As those around him had the finest gifts, he was saddened because he didn't have anything he thought was worthy of a King.  As the story continues, we hear how the Little Drummer Boy learned that his talent for playing the drum could be his gift.  It was his gift to baby Jesus.

So, I went against my initial instinct to make Gabriella stop.  I let her dance.  Of course, on the outside, I played it off like I knew she should be sitting still in reverence to God and the Mass that was taking place, but...

on the inside, I was yelling, dance, GG, dance.  He's watching and He is so proud.

I mean, if you're going to dance for any occasion, wouldn't the birth of Christ be worthy of your greatest performance?

The Little Drummer Boy...he had the drums.
GG...she has dance.

What do you have?  
We all have something that is worthy of Him.

This Christmas, as humanity celebrates the greatest gift of all time, I hope you are celebrating the gifts you have to offer in return.

Love,
Mary




1 comment:

  1. Great post!!! Nothing wrong with a little dancing before the Lord in my book... at least she didn't have a David moment and end up half naked lol. Praise Him GG!!!

    ReplyDelete