Original text or pictures from anotherdayyay.blogspot.com
may not be used without permission.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Not Bent With Doubt

Since I've gotten into photography more, many people have been so kind to offer me suggestions of photography sites. Several have mentioned the Lexington Cemetery. At first, I thought it would be a bit morbid to traipse around the grounds, poking and prodding into the lives of others, however, after taking a couple of trips to the cemetery, I feel totally different. After all, people put their names, dates of life, and revelations on stones to be remembered...the hope that somewhere way down the line, someone will remember they were here, they had life...


They mattered.


My recent trip yielded many photos, but these are a few that stood out:































I must tell you that it's hard to walk around a cemetery and not ponder your own mortality. It comes with the territory, I guess. The nature of the scene begs the question, "What do you want written on your own stone?" Well, considering I'm a day-by-day kind of gal, considering my epitaph doesn't have me too busy these days. One phrase on a gravestone actually made me stop and think, though. Look back at the 4th photo. Does a phrase jump out at you?



"Not bent with doubt..."


I like the sound of that. The idea that no matter what comes your way in life, you are so secure in God's plan that you never bend in doubt, but stand straight in reassurance of His plan. When life gets foggy, do you stop and wait, or do you keep going because you know it will eventually clear? I can't say that I always plunge straight into the fog. I usually stop and say, "Oh yoo hoo. Over here. Would You mind giving me a bit more of a hint of what's coming ahead? Oh, and while You're at it, I'd like to make a request that it be done as close to my own personal timeline as possible." Ha! The nerve.


I don't always plunge straight into fog.


But I want to.


Hopefully, by the time anything clever needs to be written on a stone in honor of me, I'll be able to say that I did not bend with doubt. And if I can't, well, there's always Plan B:


"Tried not to bend with doubt."



You fill in the blank for today!


I see God ____________________.



Love,


Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment