Original text or pictures from anotherdayyay.blogspot.com
may not be used without permission.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

I Think It's What Heaven Must Be Like

Seems as though our backyard has turned into a wildlife refuge. It all started with this little guy, featured above. Lucky (or a Praying Mantis as most normal people probably refer to such an insect) was spotted as Rick was mowing one day. He saw this little guy (I'll never know how) and in order to save him from the blades of death, picked him up and put him in a cage....
three weeks ago.
He's still there.
In this picture, he's been let out for a walk.
Don't worry. Lucky comes back.
I guess he likes us.
OR...
Maybe Lucky likes his company, the one footed frog that Rick and Gabriella found in the garage one night when they were on their way to find bugs for Lucky to eat.
Toe, Gabriella named the frog this because he's missing toes, is also in our backyard now, loving life.
The crazy thing is (that's right, I haven't even gotten to the crazy part yet) Rick and Gabriella have tried to release our new friends back into their natural habitats...TWICE.
They keep coming back!
So, it looks like we are now the proud owners of one really large Praying Mantis and a one-footed frog.
I love it...and here's why:
Every night, when I'm so sick and in between being on the bathroom floor and the couch, I hear my little family mapping out their plan of attack so that they can find food for Lucky and Toe. Gabriella starts the conversation with, "Catch bugs! Eat ant!" This is her way of saying we've got to feed the mantis. Then, Rick tells her where they will sneak around, what bugs they're attempting to find, and off they go as the door closes behind them.
But I can still hear them...
I hear them laughing and whispering and I just imagine them tip-toeing through the grass sneaking up on some unsuspecting prey. I just lay there and listen to them.
They always come back super excited to tell me about the adventure.
I think it's what Heaven must be like...hearing your family so full of joy as they share the memories they are making together. There isn't one other way I think I'd rather spend the rest of my life...
or after.
I can't wait until the twins are here and they can share in the excitement of our ordinary, everyday life. One where we catch bugs and set up wildlife refuges in the backyard.

I see God in Lucky, one of our newest and most unique family pets.

Love,

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment