Original text or pictures from anotherdayyay.blogspot.com
may not be used without permission.

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pink-Polished Toes

I was super excited to have a slumber party with GG on Friday night! Rick was going to the Lexington Catholic game, so it was a perfect chance for us girls to spend some precious time together.
Although I've always valued my time with Gabriella, the upcoming arrival of the twins makes me appreciate our time together even more. For the past 2 years, it's been Rick, GG, and me. Alone time with Gabriella will be harder to come by when there are 2 extra little ones fighting for our attention. This time matters.
I guess that's why the fact that I'm still sick upsets me so. On Friday, I felt good all day, until...
I got home and that familiar sick feeling started creeping around, threatening to ruin my night. Rick let me rest before he left with the hopes that would help...
it didn't.
I felt sick the entire time, BUT
at least I was able to do almost everything I had planned!
We painted our toenails. For Gabriella, it was the very first time her little toes had been polished. We popped popcorn and watched my favorite movie, Annie. While I was laying down on the couch, Gabriella was propped up against me, listening to me sing along. Every now and then, she would look back at me and smile. I think she liked my out-of-tune version of It's a Hard Knock Life. The later it got, the worse I felt, though. Later, I cried to Rick because I couldn't follow through with one special part of our night: a dance party. I wanted us to turn the music up extra loud and dance around the living room. It would have been nice to feel 100% for this special night with my daughter. As it turned out, I gave her everything that I had; every bit of energy I could muster. Amazing what you can do for your children.
I took the picture below as we were waiting for our polish to dry.
My foot.
Her foot.
One day, that little foot is going to be as big as mine. One day, that little foot will be walking 10 steps ahead of me instead of waiting patiently beside me. One day, GG won't care that we didn't dance on Friday night. She won't care that I couldn't stay up past 9:30. She won't look back on any of the things we didn't do.
Instead, I hope, she'll look back on the things we did.
The things we did...
together.
Like paint our toenails.
and giggle.
and hold hands.
and give big kisses!



I see God in the pink-polished toes of a mother and daughter.

Love,

Mary

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this!!! And dont worry sweet girl, what Miss GG will remember are all of the little things you did with her....that you took the time(however small or large amounts of it)to do so. There will always be time for dance parties, and toe nail polishing, and makeup and hair, for coloring together, and cooking and cleaning together!! You take the time to make the time in everything you do!! And thats what matters most to those precious little faces!! <3
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete