Original text or pictures from anotherdayyay.blogspot.com
may not be used without permission.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Seemingly Ordinary, But In Fact, Extraordinary

There we were, all gathered 'round, waiting.
and waiting...
and waiting...
GG sat there reading the closest book available (James Dobson's Dare to Discipline). I sat off to the side with my camera in arm's reach and Rick sat perched and ready with words of bribery, "McDonald's, cookies, etc..." Gabriella had just let us know moments before that she needed to go "poo-poo" so off we all went to the bathroom in hopes of experiencing the first successful attempt together. Well, we waited...
and waited...
Gabriella stood up, sat down, stood up, sat down. She even had a brief stay in each of our laps, but that didn't last long as having a bare booty baby that wants to "go poo-poo" is not ideal for a lap-time cuddle session.
Rick and I just knew it was going to happen, but the longer we waited, the more our doubts grew.
"Patience," I told my little family to no avail. It just wasn't happening on this day. Of course, I had plans to take pictures of this monumental occasion, but since it wasn't going as planned, I snapped a few honorable mentions. This one stuck out.



While we were busy waiting, we were having the best time. We were making jokes and laughing. Watching Gabriella's little hands turn the pages of James Dobson's book and point to the words like she was actually reading...it was hilarious! I enjoyed that time with Rick and Gabriella more than they will probably ever know and there was no main event.
Everything seemingly ordinary, but in fact, extraordinary.
Maybe it's why I'm so incredibly content with my life. Maybe it's why I'm brought to tears by something as silly as laying awake with Rick in the middle of the night and getting the giggles over nothing at all. Maybe it's why I want to get on my knees and thank God for this life when Gabriella says, "Help Mama," and holds my hand as she leads me to bed when I'm sick.
It's finding the extraordinary in the ordinary.
It's being thankful for the smallest things and finding such joy in them.
Trying to get lost in every precious second of life...
Are you able to? Do you?

I see an extraordinary God in the ordinary mismatched socks of a little girl waiting.

Love,
Mary

1 comment:

  1. awesome!! it's the small things that matter the most and make the long lasting impressions and memories.

    ReplyDelete