Original text or pictures from anotherdayyay.blogspot.com
may not be used without permission.

Monday, December 19, 2011

I Forgot

So the past few days have been an adventure, to say the least. It all started Thursday. I'd been feeling sick. Nothing unusual there. Fast forward to the middle of the night Friday when I started throwing up so much that my doctor wanted me to go to the hospital. Rick hadn't been feeling well, so my mom rushed over and took me. I might add that my mom had been up all night because she had offered to keep GG so Rick and I could get some rest. Of course, GG thought it was party time and refused to sleep. at all. meaning she didn't go to sleep that night. neither did my mom.
But, my mom did what any good mother does; she answers to the call of her child.

I was admitted to the mother/baby floor. It was around 1:00pm. I'd changed into my hospital gown, answered the 100 questions the nurse had for me, and was signing the papers for registration. When I got to the line where I was supposed to date my signature, I said to the nurse, "What's today's date? I don't even know what today is."
She replied, " the 17th."

I looked over at my mother. You'd never know that the date had any significance to her at all. I waited for the nurse to leave and then looked at my mom again. Embarrassed and ashamed I said, "Today's your birthday."

I forgot.
I totally forgot.
I had been so wrapped up in my own world, that I didn't even realize it was my mother's birthday. Who does that?!
Honestly, I thought twice about even writing this post because I was embarrassed to even admit such a thing.

As I apologized to my mom, I told her how sorry I was that she was spending her special day in a hospital room. I mean, seriously. Filling up a cup with ice chips, helping me to the bathroom, rubbing my back...not exactly the most fun way to celebrate another year of life. Each time I apologized, my mom reassured me that she didn't mind.

And you know what? I believe her.

Here's why:

Last year, Rick and I had plans for New Year's Eve. We were so excited. We'd spent a lot of money on one of my favorite nights of the year. I'd gone out and bought the perfect dress to match Rick's shirt and tie (yes, we're that couple). We had our bags packed, champagne ready for celebrating and, as luck would have it, Gabriella started running a high fever and got really sick. Of course. So what did we do? We stayed home. It wasn't even a question.
Last New Years, instead of singing Auld Lang Syne and toasting the year to come, I was rocking a sick little girl.

I wouldn't have had it any other way. That's how I know my mom didn't mind. Because I didn't.

A good mother, a good father...

They go when they're needed. It's part of the job description. It's nothing you have to do.

It's something you want to do...

Because it's your child. And who better to love and care for your child than you.

So, needless to say, there's no picture for this post. However, I bet you can close your eyes and imagine the love a mother has for her child. It's the perfect picture to imagine this Christmas season. Imagine the love that Mary had for Jesus.
Mary was always there for Him,
just like my mom is always there for me,
just like I'll always be there for Gabriella, Marielle, and Genevieve.

I hope you can see God in the love your mother has for you. I know I do.

Love,

Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment