Original text or pictures from anotherdayyay.blogspot.com
may not be used without permission.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Hit Me Again and Put Some Stank On It!

What's the deal, moms?!

I've been very frustrated at my last few attempts to have Gabriella socialize.  My latest attempt had us at the library for one of their storytimes.  Sounds fun, right?  Singing, dancing, marching, make believing...
Well, not so much.

Maybe it's because moms can be so rude...
One would think that when you know how hard this mothering job can be, you'd lift up the mothers around you.  Say an encouraging word, give an encouraging smile, try to turn misbehaviors into teachable moments.

Nope.  Notta.  
And I must admit that my ever-pending question, "Where will you see God today?" sure wasn't answered in the faces of the mothers at the library class today.  See, that's not very nice and I should backspace every bit of that last sentence.

But I'm not gonna.

After the deceivingly cute little blond hit Gabriella, she stood there shocked.  So did I when the mom gave no more than a, "That's not nice," dismissal of an attitude.  When the red head shoved Gabriella in the chest for trying to help him work his puzzle, she started to get a little red in the cheeks.  So did I.  BUT, when the little girl who threw a conniption fit because Gabriella moved something on her train set and Gabriella went over and hugged her and said I'm sorry, to which the mom and the girl looked at GG liked she had a disease...for this I had no words.

Forget that my attempts at conversation with other moms are always ignored, I'm tired of every time I encourage Gabriella to say, "excuse me," or, "sorry," it's never reciprocated.  I don't blame the children.  They're only doing what they're taught.  I'm blaming the moms who roll their eyes.  The moms who never smile.  The moms who are never welcoming or inviting.  The moms who are never KIND.  
That's who I blame.

And why are moms like this?  We should be on the same team!  I want to support the mothers around me, but am finding more and more that very few moms have this attitude.  Apparently, there's even a whole Mommy War being waged.  I ran across the article below about a week ago and was surprised.
If anyone knows how hard it is being a mom, it's a mom.  So, why don't we realize we're all working towards the same goal and make our experiences together more enjoyable?!  
Have a little fun while we're in the process of living this crazy thing called life????

Of course, when we left, I was the one who was upset.  Not Gabriella.  When we went for a treat at McDonald's I asked her what she thought about the library class.  She said, "Some of the mommies and kids mean."  When I asked her if she wanted to go back, she didn't hesitate before she said, "YES!"

In Matthew 5:39, the Bible encourages us, "If someone strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also."

In Liar, Liar, Jim Carrey encourages us in the hilarious courtroom scene, "Hit me again, Ike, and put some stank on it!"

So, I guess we'll be going back next week and giving it another go.  I'm going to pray that God shows up at the class and gives us all a lesson in how to be more accepting, encouraging, and kind to each other.  If not, then GG and I will be tag-teaming some 2 year olds and blaming it on the other!

In fact, I think we'll borrow Marielle and Genevieve's onesies:



Maybe I didn't see Him because I was too frustrated to look, but I'm sure going to look next week!  
So, next week I'm going to see God at the library.  I just know He's going to show up!

Love,
Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment