Original text or pictures from anotherdayyay.blogspot.com
may not be used without permission.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Joy With A Pure Heart

I know this is weird, but I often ponder the traits that I admire in other people.  More and more, I find myself  appreciating people when they show true happiness for others.
Take the fake case of the hardwood floor.  Sorry such a boring, uncontroversial topic, I know, but amuse me...
Let's say you have the most beautiful hardwood floors.  You saved and saved and got the best, most shiny floors money could buy.  Your friend calls you up and is, too, getting hardwood floors.  You're so excited for your friend.  She can now experience the same excitement that hardwood floors have brought you over the years.  

Time out- I already told you I know hardwood floors are not exciting, but for this mom of three children under 2 1/2, it's all I got today!

Continuing...

Now, let's say you have carpet that you despise.  You would give anything for new hardwood floors, but your financial circumstances don't allow you to treat yourself to such a luxury.  Every day, you picture just how nice hardwood floors would look in your home.  This time when your friend calls you and shares that she's getting new hardwood floors do you share the same sense of happiness and excitement with your friend?  After all, this time your friend is getting something you don't have.

*************************

On to a more serious subject matter.  Metaphor over.

It's so easy to be happy for people when they receive, achieve, or become something that you already have or are.  BUT, how awesome is it when someone can find this sense of joy for others when they desire the accomplishment of another?  What does that say about a person's character?

Could you, would you, do you share in other people's joy with a pure heart?  Without envy or jealousy or behind-the-back words of spite?  

In my early 20's I was consumed by jealousy.  I was too busy worrying about what everyone else had or did or accomplished to see the good things happening in my own life.  Now, I try to find true joy in the happiness of those around me and, to be perfectly honest, am very hurt when I don't have that feeling reciprocated.  Maybe that's why it's a trait I'm starting to admire more and more...because I don't see it that often.  I think it's something that is really hard to do and takes a conscious effort.  

At dance class the other night, Gabriella walked up to a little girl who had on a fancy tutu.  It was purple and black and was so over the top, just perfect for a 2 year old's first dance class.  I'm sure Gabriella would have loved that tutu.  She marched right up to that little girl and proclaimed, "I like your tutu!"  And she meant it.  With such a pure heart.

So clearly, I see God in those who are without their own tutu and can find the beauty in someone else's.

Love, 
Mary







No comments:

Post a Comment